Want to learn youth work? Become a Zeal Intern!
Tuesday, October 04, 2016
(Community Of The Year Finalist 2016) is a leading New Zealand youth organisation full of passionate, creative misfits who believe that every young kiwi is creative and who dedicate our lives to helping them discover, express, and develop their unique creativity.
Each year we engage thousands through our programmes, events and social enterprises in West Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Hawke's Bay, and Kāpiti. We also engage over a million online through our youth issues project Live For Tomorrow.
The Zeal Youth Work Internship is a unique opportunity for creative, young change-makers to learn and experience youth work the Zeal way over a life-changing two years of work and study.
Interns will join the Zeal staff family, work their ass off, and see the lives of young people transformed. They'll also achieve a Diploma in Youth & Community Studies through Praxis
and be well on their way toward a career of significance in strengths-based youth development.
Applicants must be 19 or over, passionate about young people, competent in a creative discipline, high energy, hard working, and have the ability to motivate others. It also helps if you have a full drivers license.
Placements are available in West Auckland, Wellington, Kāpiti, Hamilton and Hawke's Bay.
Please note this position is unpaid.
What will I do?
- 20 hours per week at Zeal, 20 hours studying with Praxis.
- Active face-to-face youth work at Zeal's afternoon programmes.
- Youth mentoring
- Event planning and coordination
- Street-based youth work
- Programme delivery in your preferred creative discipline.
What training will I get?
Both Zeal and Praxis adhere to a strengths-based, holistic youth development approach. As a part of your Zeal Youth Work Internship you'll learn this through:
- Weekly work experience and study
- Four block courses with Praxis per year
- Eight Zeal youth work training workshops per year
- Two Zeal staff hui per year
- Monthly supervision by a senior Zeal staff member
- Zeal covers the work placement costs for the Zeal Youth Work Internship. Each applicant is required to pay the course fees for Praxis. Praxis is a NZQA registered provider and successful applicants will be eligible for student allowance and loan through StudyLink. In successfully completing the Zeal Youth Work Internship you will receive a Level 6 Diploma in Youth & Community Studies, a Zeal Certificate of Completion, and a written endorsement.
What kind of people are we looking for?
Successful applicants will exhibit the following:
- Unwavering care, compassion and belief in New Zealand young people from all walks of life.
- A missional heart to change the lives of young people.
- A commitment to complete the Praxis Diploma in Youth & Community Studies.
- An interest in learning a bi-cultural approach to youth work.
- An outgoing personality with a positive attitude.
- A high level of integrity and honesty.
- A non-judgemental perspective and a high level of empathy.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to different types of people.
- Good English communication skills, both orally and written
- Competency in a creative discipline (music, creative arts etc)
- Ability to read and interpret educational materials
- Able to work independently as well as with a team
- Proactive and responsive, with organizational skills, attention to detail, time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Ability to take direction and listen to instruction
- Past experience of working with young people and a full drivers license is advantageous.
How to apply for the Zeal Youth Work Internship
The Zeal Youth Work Internship is a pre-professional opportunity for applicants. Applications should be professional and typed. Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview in late October. We anticipate final decisions and commitments by late November 2016.